Sunday, April 5, 2009

COYOTE'S JOURNEY

You ever notice how Coyote, he never doubles back? I first discovered this peculiarity of his when he picked me up along the roadside heading south one morning not long before daybreak. I was minding my own damn business, not looking for any grief or mischief and I sure wasn’t looking for a ride. But along comes this slick new sports car, one of those fast European jobs, and the driver rolls down his window and grins at me. Hop in, he says, I’ll take you for a little spin. Then he winks, and I get that cold shiver up my backside like I do whenever things are starting to heat up.
So I hop in and off we go, tear-assing down the highway like the law was after us and we had more than a guilty secret or two between us. Pretty soon, I realize I left my backpack laying by the side of the road.
Turn around! I yell. But coyote, he doesn’t even slow down, he just sits there grinning.
Stop this damned car and turn around! I left my backpack out there on the highway!
I know it
--- he says. I figured there wasn’t anything in there you needed anymore and that was why you left it laying back there.
Well no
! – I say. I just forgot it back there, that's all! And I need my damn gear, so turn this buggy around and get on back there for it!
Nope
--- says Coyote. Nope, nay, and nada. If there was anything important in that sack of yours, you’d never have forgot it. If there was any unfinished business in that old bag, then you’d best learn to get by with unfinished business, because we ain’t never turning back now. And if there’s anything in there you just can’t live without, then you’d best get started dying, because this car is going straight on till we get where we’re headed, and we ain’t stopping, and we ain’t turning around for nothing. You ride with Coyote, you ride a one way street.
Oh well, I suppose he’s right. There wasn’t anything special in that old sack after all. Best just sit back and enjoy the view.

No comments:

Post a Comment